While the cold season seems like it’s already been around for much too long, its impact on our heating bill is just beginning. Keeping energy costs low during the coldest months of the year can be challenging, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to potentially decrease those costs. That’s why we’ve developed a few furnace tips to help keep soaring heating bills at bay.
To begin reducing your heating bills and boosting your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open throughout the warmest hours of the day to let sunlight in, helping warm your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Purchasing a programmable thermostat so that you can more precisely control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter regularly.
- Making sure your home’s heating vents are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your current furnace is more than 15 years old.
- Installing insulation to your attic to keep heat from escaping.
- Checking your roof to ensure your shingles are intact, and that no holes or areas need sealing.
Attempting to keep your energy bills to a minimum and energy efficiency at a maximum, is a year-round effort, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t take a few small steps to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions about the tips above or questions about how you can lower your heating bills, give us a call at 614-451-0846. Our experts are here to help you keep your home comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Columbus weather.