Typically, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Contingent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, how many pets you have, and how often your air filter has been replaced, to name a few—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you know for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are definitely some revealing signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a jam within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers carrying out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see a collection of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents nestled in your ductwork?
- Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have a smaller amount of airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask Wolfe & Sons Heating and Cooling in Columbus about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are some things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the period of time between professional cleanings.
Above all, setup annual HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Wolfe & Sons Heating and Cooling. A maintenance check of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and possible replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system running effectively, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also converse with the team at Wolfe & Sons Heating and Cooling about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other steps you can take include:
- Regularly dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Inspecting your air filters regularly and exchanging them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will display dust on them after a brief stint in service, but they may not demand replacement.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that let dust to come in from areas like your attic.
- Exchanging poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With a professional air duct cleaning and some proactive measures, you can help keep the air in your Columbus home clean and healthy. Give the pros at Wolfe & Sons Heating and Cooling a call at 614-451-0846.