Summer weather in Columbus can be a bear. But you don’t have to make a choice between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility expenses. We’ve assembled some tips to help you out.
The greatest thing you can do to stay cool and sustain energy efficiency is by maintaining your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® suggests keeping your system running dependably and efficiently, and Wolfe & Sons Heating and Cooling is able to help. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll do the following tasks suggested by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to make sure there’s safe operation of your system and the possibility of a longer lifecycle for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as need be. Dirty coils require your system to run more often to do its job.
- Check system controls to make sure of proper and safe operation.
- Look at refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to assure proper system airflow.
Another crucial piece to remaining cool is consistently checking your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter may raise energy costs and damage your equipment, leading to premature failure. Our Wolfe & Sons Heating and Cooling professionals will inspect these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to check the manufacturer’s recommendations to set up your own schedule to swap them out.
Here are a handul of other tips to keep your home comfy and energy-efficient:
- Look at thermostat settings to make sure your air conditioner keeps you comfortable when you are home and saves energy while you are gone.
- If you find yourself cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let the crisp air cool your home for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to trap the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Take advantage of fans. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a tad higher than you regularly would without noticing any changes in your comfort level.
- Another type of fan people routinely forget about when they’re attempting to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Make sure to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to remove the heat and humidity from your home.
- Work to not leave lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven add heat into your home, but even routine activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can up the heat in your home.
If you’d like more ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give Wolfe & Sons Heating and Cooling at call at 614-451-0846 or request an appointment with us online.