Whether you like winter or desire the warmer months in Columbus, most of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a huge impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Check weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your space warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it needs to be changed. We suggest at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Buy a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can arrange temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—despite your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. The team at Wolfe & Sons Heating and Cooling can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Wolfe & Sons Heating and Cooling in Columbus a call to begin. You can reach us at 614-451-0846 or schedule an appointment with us online.