Call it Murphy’s Law, or maybe just a little misfortune, but we sometimes see heat pump troubles in Columbus during the cooler months, when they’re required to keep you warm. While you know the team at Wolfe & Sons Heating and Cooling will forever be there ASAP when you need us for a heat pump repair, there are some things you can do to double check a repair is needed and save yourself some money if it’s not. We’ve gathered this checklist of things to try before you give us a call.
- It may sound ridiculous, but make sure everything is switched “on”. We’ve been to more than a few calls only to find the thermostat or the heat pump itself is set to off.
If the heat pump still hasn’t turned on, revisit your thermostat.
- Is the thermostat turned to heat? If yes, raise the temperature by five degrees to test if it switches on.
- If everything looks right, test your heat pump switch (if it has one) and check the fuses and circuit breaker that protect the extra heating element (if it has one).
Is an obstruction causing your heat pump to breakdown?
- Try changing the battery, if it has one.
- Examine your air filters inside your air handler to ensure they’re not clogging things up.
- Are your room heating registers open and clear?
If you’ve moved through this checklist and you still need a heat pump maintenance check, call Wolfe & Sons Heating and Cooling at 614-451-0846 and we’ll get your home back to the warm and cozy place you expect this time of year.