Call it Murphy’s Law, or maybe just a little misfortune, but we sometimes see heat pump troubles in Columbus during the cooler months, when they’re required to keep you warm. While you know the team at Wolfe & Sons Heating and Cooling will forever be there ASAP when you need us for a heat pump repair, there are some things you can do to double check a repair is needed and save yourself some money if it’s not. We’ve gathered this checklist of things to try before you give us a call.
- It may sound ridiculous, but make sure everything is switched “on”. We’ve been to more than a few calls only to find the thermostat or the heat pump itself is set to off.
- Is the thermostat turned to heat? If yes, raise the temperature by five degrees to test if it switches on.
- If everything looks right, test your heat pump switch (if it has one) and check the fuses and circuit breaker that protect the extra heating element (if it has one).
- If the heat pump still hasn’t turned on, revisit your thermostat.
- Try changing the battery, if it has one.
- Is an obstruction causing your heat pump to breakdown?
- Examine your air filters inside your air handler to ensure they’re not clogging things up.
- Are your room heating registers open and clear?
If you’ve moved through this checklist and you still need a heat pump maintenance check, call Wolfe & Sons Heating and Cooling at 614-451-0846 and we’ll get your home back to the warm and cozy place you expect this time of year.