You’re in the middle of the most bitter week of winter and you wake up shaking in a pile of blankets in bed. The first thing you think is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to find yourself in a situation like this where it feels like you’re doomed to suffer until morning to arrange furnace repair, but there are a few things you can take a look at, as well as a few things you can do, to stay ahead of the game and have a plan for a situation like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Frigid nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you avert a chilly predicament.
- Compile supplies. Find some room in a closet, drawer or another easy to access area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warm while your furnace isn’t working. It might seem inconvenient or unnecessary now, but it will be a relief when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Working:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace could have been tripped by a power surge or for another reason. If this occurs, switch the breaker back on and you might be set. If the breaker is turned off and you have switched it back on but your furnace still isn’t working, give us a call to set up an appointment for furnace repair.
- Layer on and get cozy. That handful of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you preserve body heat so you can stay cozy while waiting for your technician. Also, try to find something to do to keep your blood pumping, as more activity can help keep you cozy.
- Stay safe. Employing something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose possible danger depending on the method you’re using. It’s important to remember to never utilize heating methods created for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use a secondary method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your go-tos.
No one wants to deal with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has quit running, but the opportunity is real if you don’t take the correct steps. Give the pros at Wolfe & Sons Heating and Cooling a call at 614-451-0846 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services offered or any other number of heating questions.